Scientific*gear Community User Forum
  •  
 Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News: Take advantage of the community user forum! 
November 17, 2017, 11:27:40 PM*
Topic: Karl Fisher in Standby  (Read 6319 times)
 » 
Karl Fisher in Standby « on: October 08, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »
View Profile
When you are only intermittently performing Karl Fisher titrations, what is the best procedure to use to maximize the life of the reagent and the equipment.  Should you leave the cell on, and allow the instrument to titrate any incident moisture, even if that is all it does for several days?  Or should we turn the cell off, leave the stirrer bar on low, and then turn the cell on again to pre-titrate just before running the next sample?  Or should we drain the vessel back to a sealed bottle, and refill when we are ready to run again?  I'm looking to get the most out of my new instrument, and the greatest life from my expensive reagents.

Rich
#1 » 
Re: Karl Fisher in Standby « on: October 09, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
View Profile
How quickly do you want to be "ready to go" each time you step up the the Karl Fisher and want to run a test.  If this is important than the other issues are probably not as important.   

Keeping atmospheric moisture out of the cell by either keeping the instrument running or by waiting to turn the instrument on is going to require possibly about the same amount of energy and reagent to bring the vessel to ready mode.  I guess you could experiment with ways of storing the vessel while it is still charged with reagents - in dry places, etc...but I don't know if that will really work.  I guess alternatively you could use an extra reagent bottle to store the in-use reagents and see if that works - problem with this though is you end up mixing up good and old/bad reagents and may waste reagents in the end...

As for the instrument there really is not a problem by keeping it on as the stirrer motor is probably the only mechanical part that stays running....kind of like a fan on a PC.  I don't really think this is a problem though.
Pages: [1]
Jump to: